Sigma Corporation announces pricing and availability of Sigma DP2 Merrill
New generation compact camera to hit US shelves in July for street price of $999
Ronkonkoma, NY, June 29, 2012 – Sigma Corporation of America (www.sigmaphoto.com), a leading researcher, developer, manufacturer and service provider for some of the world's most impressive lines of lenses, cameras and flashes, has announced that the Sigma DP2 Merrill compact digital camera will be available in the United States on July 12 for the street price of $999.
This upgraded, high-resolution, compact digital camera with a fixed lens is named in honor of Richard “Dick” Merrill, the co-creator of the Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor technology that powers Sigma’s unique lineup of cameras. It differs from its predecessor, the DP2x, because its resolution has grown by moving from Foveon’s 14.6-megapixel APS-C size image sensor to the 46-megapixel APS-C image sensor found in the company’s flagship SLR, the Sigma SD1 Merrill. The full-color Foveon X3 direct image sensor ensures outstanding resolution, richly gradated tones and images with a three-dimensional feel. A focus ring and custom Quick Set (QS) mode also improve the user interface.
“We are very proud of the engineering and design involved in the upgrade of the DP2 Merrill, and we are especially pleased to honor Dick Merrill with its name,” said Mark Amir-Hamzeh, president of Sigma Corporation of America. “The addition of the 46-megapixel sensor and the continued use of Foveon’s unique three-layer design results in images that can’t be reproduced by other cameras on today’s market.”
The Sigma DP2 Merrill boasts an exclusively designed, high-performance, telecentric 30mm F2.8 lens, which is the equivalent to a 45mm lens on a 35mm SLR camera. The camera is compact and lightweight, and features Super Multi Layer Coating to reduce flare and ghosting.
Other features of the Sigma DP2 Merrill camera include:
- A dual, three-layer responsive ultimate (TRUE II) engine thatnow incorporates two TRUE II processors toimprove the processing speed and overall quality of the final image
- RAW and JPEG format recording toretain the full image detail of the utmost quality captured through the direct image sensor, as well as a JPEG recording format for convenience
- Sigma Photo Pro processing software to convert RAW data quickly and easily
- Manual focus for use when autofocus or focus-lock is not desired
- Easy-to-use auto focus with a “nine-point select mode” which can select the desired focusing point from nine different frames, and a “free move mode” that allows shooters to select their desired focusing point
- An advanced user interface complete with acustom QS menu and the metallic command dial to improve usability
- Continuous shooting capabilities to capture up to seven RAW images per sequence
- A large, highly visible, three-inch TFT color LCD monitor for great visibility
- A hot shoe for the use of the dedicated external flashgun EF-140DG (optional)
- Movie mode for movie recording with VGA (640×480) size, with 30 shooting frames per second
About Sigma Corporation
For more than 50 years, Sigma Corporation’s expertise and innovation has driven the company’s core philosophy of “knowledge, plus experience, plus imagination,”with anemphasis on producing high-quality, high-performance photographic technology at moderate prices. This family-owned organization is the largest, independent SLR lens manufacturer in the world, producing more than 40 lenses that are compatible with most manufacturers, including Sigma, Canon, Sony, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax. Sigma Corporation also produces digital SLR cameras and high-definition digital compact cameras. The company is headquartered in Japan, with offices strategically located throughout Europe, Asia and North America. For information, please visit www.sigmaphoto.com.