Tuesday, June 21, 2011

NYE in NYC

Guest Blogger: Meg Rain
Website: http://www.artroommelody.com/



I was fortunate enough to make a visit to New York City this past New Year’s to visit a good friend of mine that’s living in Brooklyn and pursuing his dream to be an actor. I was surprised that my trip wasn’t cancelled due to the hellacious snowstorm the Northeast endured. Even though the weather was cold and the streets were filled with slush, my visit was not soiled. I was able to get some pretty sweet photos during my stay! Check’em out!

Since my friend knows I’m a huge street art junkie, he made sure our first stop was 5 Points in Queens right by the train station. I was in graffiti heaven!


   
I think it’s kind of funny that I went to NYC and was disappointed by the 3 foot of snow. What was I thinking? It was January and I was in NYC, of course there would be snow! I must admit, the snow did add its own flair to the city and the photos I was able to capture.



I didn’t have any interest in being in Times Square for the dropping of the ball on New Year’s Eve, I know you all might think I’m crazy for missing such a once in a lifetime opportunity, but to be completely honest, I’m not a huge fan of large crowds and standing in 20 degree weather for extended periods of time!
    Just because I wasn’t there to see the ball drop doesn’t mean I had no interest in seeing Time Square in full-effect. I wanted to feel the energy, see the diversity, and be encased by the sound curtains of urban progression! I wanted to get a taste of the street vendors with their framed art, handbags, religious jewelry, and other tourist must-haves.


I also made sure to swing by the monumental Radio City Hall, and needless to say, I was happy as a clam!


I thoroughly enjoyed all the lights and energy NYC has to offer. I was shocked when I saw some window artwork outside of ELEMENT that’s similar to my own style of work, so of course I had to document it! 


I felt like I stepped into a time machine and was in the future while walking around Times Square and seeing the bombardment of ads, lights, and words. There was just too much to take in. I was only fortunate to stay a few days. It simply was not enough time.

I need to plan a trip back very soon, that’s for sure!

All images © by Meg Rain

No comments:

Advertisement – Deals